SEE it here. Best when the sun’s right.
- Lead poisoning continues to be a scourge for the big birds. Last month, Condors #340 and #444 were trapped and found to have high lead blood levels. They were both immediately transferred to the Los Angeles Zoo for chelation treatment
- Many species of wildlife feed on animals killed with lead bullets. The lead leaches into the bloodstream and they slowly die of starvation as the lead paralyzes their digestive system.
A 10 year-old male condor (#318) died after ingesting a bullet, presumably while feeding on a carcass. He was found barely alive and unable to feed or use his legs to stand. Veterinarians could not save him. A necropsy determined the cause of death was lead toxicosis. A radiograph showed multiple metal fragments and a 22 caliber lead bullet in his digestive tract.
Source: Ventana Wildlife Society.
Reblogged this on "OUR WORLD".